News and Events

Drink Driving.

  • Posted

Drink Driving Factsheet Definition Attempting to drive or being in charge of a motor vehicle on the public highway or in a public place whilst under the influence of alcohol that exceeds the prescribed limit. Test Methods You will be asked to supply a breath test if a police officer suspects you've been drinking (for example erratic driving or involved in an accident). If you fail the roadside breath test you will be arrested and taken to a police station where you will be asked to provide 2 specimens of breath, the lower reading is the one that will be used. If the breath specimen is no more than 50mg, you are entitled to request that a sample of blood or urine by taken. Blood and urine tests are considered more accurate than breath tests in assessing blood alcohol levels. If you are offered a blood or urine test you should always agree, the accuracy of either test may be the difference between prosecution or no further action. The police may also request a blood or urine test if you are unable to provide a breath specimen because of some medical condition, for example, severe asthma. There are of course inevitable consequences of failing to provide any type of sample. * Legal Representation If you're arrested and detained at a police station you should seek advice from a solicitor via one of the options below: • ask to see the duty solicitor – they provide free legal advice 24/7 • ask to see your own solicitor or a solicitor you've heard of If you decide not to seek legal advice and are subsequently charged it is advisable to find a solicitor to represent you in court. A solicitor will advise you on any possible defence, or on minimising the period of disqualification and receiving a reduced sentence. UK Legal Drink Drive Limited • 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath • 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood • 107 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine. If you require advice in relation to any Criminal matter please contact our Crime team on 0845 5212999, or email, who will be able to assist you. * A further Article dealing specifically with "failure to provide" will be published shortly. The above is not legal advice; it is intended to provide information of general interest about current legal issues.