Submission of Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

Submission of Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

If you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises in England or Wales you must contact your council for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and the process of applying is formally known as ‘serving’ a Temporary Event Notice.

You’ll also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol.
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club.
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events.
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The following restrictions will apply to events covered by a TEN:

  • The event must have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event
  • The event can last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
  • The applicant for the TEN must be at least 18 years old.

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premise can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

If you’re organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event.  Clear working days do not include the day your council receives your application or the day of the event.

You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and environmental health at least 10 working days before the event.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

Contact our licensing solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester

If you want to find out more about the services we can offer you, please feel free to get in touch with our licensing solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester.


Call us

Email us