New Premises Licence for the Sale of Alcohol in Essex

Getting and keeping the right licence is vital to many businesses in Essex.

Whether you’re starting a new operation or need help with an existing licensed business, we can advise and support you through the entire process.

Applications for a new Premises Licence for the sale of alcohol and/or other regulated entertainment

We will need to contact your council to apply for a premises licence if you intend to sell alcohol or provide ‘licensable activities’ from a particular venue.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol.
  • Serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am.

You’ll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • Theatrical performance.
  • Showing a film.
  • Indoor sporting event.
  • Boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor).
  • Live music.
  • Recorded music.
  • Dance.
  • Facilities for making music.
  • Dancing facilities.

You will still need a licence if the activities are for charity.

You may have to pay Machine Games Duty on any gaming machines you have on your premises.