Variation and Minor Variation Applications

Variation and Minor Variation Applications amending an existing premises licence

If you hold a premises licence and want to make changes you must apply for a Variation.  You can use a Variation Application to:

  • Add licensable activities not already allowed.
  • Remove or alter conditions on the premises licence.
  • Alter the plan of the premises that the premises licence relates.

If you hold a Premises Licence and want to make small changes you can apply for a Minor Variation.  Minor Variation applications can be used to:

  • Make small changes to the structure or layout of premises.
  • Add the provision of late night refreshment or regulated entertainment, such as the performance of plays or film exhibitions.
  • Make small changes to licensing hours.
  • Amend or remove licence conditions, such as any which might be considered out of date or unenforceable, or add new conditions.

You cannot use a Minor Variation Application to:

  • Add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence.
  • Extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am.
  • Increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied.
  • Extend the period for which a time limited licence or certificate has effect.
  • Transfer the licence or certificate from one premise to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates.
  • Specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor.
  • Add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate.
  • Dis-apply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this).

Get in touch with our solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester

If you want to find out more about the services we can offer you, please feel free to get in touch with our licensing solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester.

Call us

Email us