If you suspect that your employer, or someone within the company, is doing something that they shouldn’t be doing - whether it can amount to a criminal act or not - you are required to report your concerns to the company. You do not need to have any evidence for your concerns, necessarily, but they should be founded on something.

Your employer will, most likely, have in place a Whistleblowing policy. You will probably find this within the company's handbook. The general principles of that policy are set out in the legislation on whistleblowing which requires that you report your concerns to your employer. It does not specify any one person in particular but we always recommend that the report is made to a sufficiently senior manager who would be able to handle, or pass on, your concerns.  Please do check the policy, however, as it may require the report made to a specified person with authority.

The Employment Rights Act 1996 protects you from being mistreated or dismissed as a result of the whistleblowing provided that it was a 'qualifying disclosure' as is required within the legislation.

If you are considering blowing the whistle, or making a 'protected disclosure', we can offer you some preliminary advice to ensure that you are protected under the legislation as much as possible when you make the disclosure. Even if you have already made the disclosure, we will be able to help.

In general, there is no cap on any potential financial compensation and there is no requirement of minimum length of service provided that the 'qualifying disclosure' requirements have been met. We will be able to assess and advise you on that.

Get in touch with our whistleblowing solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester

If you want to find out more about the services we can offer you, please feel free to get in touch with our whistleblowing solicitors in Chelmsford and Colchester.


Call us

Email us