Thank you for looking at our services for Motoring Offences. Motoring offences can happen to any individual and the penalties can be serious, with potential outcomes including fines, disqualification or in some cases imprisonment.
If you have been charged with a motoring offence, such as speeding, driving without due care and attention or driving whilst under the influence, you will require professional legal advice to help limit any possible consequences.
We have a dedicated and experienced team of solicitors with a wealth of expertise who can assist you at what is likely to be a stressful time for you and your family. We will be able to provide advice on what happens at each stage of the process.
You will have the confidence that you are our priority throughout this process. We will aim to ensure that your solicitor is available to speak with you whenever you need some clarity and certainty leading up to, during, and after your hearing.
We are proud to hold Lexcel and Criminal Litigation Accreditations, issued by the Law Society. This involves the firm undergoing a rigorous audit process which ensures we maintain the highest levels of client care.
Our fees for dealing with motoring offences can vary depending on whether the plea is Guilty or Not Guilty and the number of hearings involved. We will need to obtain all the facts and details of your personal circumstances and will liaise with the Court and the CPS in advance and on the day of any hearing.
Our fees will typically include:
- Considering evidence.
- Providing advice in relation to the plea and likely sentence.
- Options available in the event that we cannot advise of the likely sentence, i.e. what options the court may consider when sentencing.
- Discussing with you where there may be exceptional circumstances, or a special reasons argument should be made to the court.
- Representation at hearings as agreed.
We offer both fixed fees and hourly rates, whereby you will be charged for each hour of work undertaken.
Our hourly rates range from £250-£295 + VAT per hour depending upon the experience of the solicitor involved. The initial starting point is for the hourly rate to apply, but we are happy to discuss and agree fixed fees that are tailored to your individual case and needs.
For a guilty plea our work will include: initial consultation, preparation (considering evidence, taking instructions and advising), travel, attendance (final discussions with you when at court) and advocacy (when we represent you) at a single Magistrates Court hearing. Our fees for this range from £1650 + VAT to £2,500 + VAT depending upon the experience of the individual solicitor involved.
For a not guilty plea our work will include: consultations, preparation (considering evidence, taking instructions and advising), travel, attendance (final discussions with you when at court) and advocacy (when we represent you), for up to 2 Magistrates Court hearings including your Trial date. Our fees for this range from £3,500 + VAT to £4,500 + VAT depending upon the experience of the individual solicitor involved.
We will provide price information on any additional services, such as obtaining witness statements, sourcing expert witnesses or advising on an appeal as appropriate.
Our fees are fixed and include the items detailed above, however there may be factors which would typically increase the cost of the fees involved in your case. Where there is likely to be any additional cost, we will make sure you are informed of this at the earliest opportunity and a clear estimate of those extra costs will be provided.
Factors that may lead to an increase in cost include:
- Instruction of any expert witnesses.
- Taking statements from any witnesses.
- Providing advice and assistance in in relation to any special reasons hearing.
- Providing advice or assistance on appeal.
- Representation at an out-of-area Magistrates Court.
We are not always able to provide timescales of when your hearing will take place as this will depend on the court fixtures and court listing for any particular day. We will make every effort to keep you up-to-date on any issues affecting the time it will take to deal with your case.
There are key milestones, which may vary according to individual circumstances. They may be as follows:
- Meeting with your Solicitor to provide instructions.
- Disclosure – where we will consider the initial disclosure provided by the CPS, with any evidence and provide advice on that basis.
- Where an additional cost has been agreed, we will arrange to take witness statements.
- We will go through the court process with you, so you are fully aware of what to expect on the day or your hearing.
- We will discuss the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will undertake any preparatory work within the time frame of the fixed fee and obtain your instructions.
- We will attend court with you. We would allow half a day for this.
- We will discuss the outcome of the court hearing with you and any next steps if required.
If you have any immediate questions on this topic please do not hesitate to contact us using the motoring law enquiry page at https://www.geppsolicitors.co.uk/site/for-you/motoring-law-solicitors/ or call us on 01245 358894 (24 hours).